Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ghosts at the Islip Art Museum, October 8, 2011


Nearly twenty years ago I taught a workshop at the Islip Art Museum in East Islip, NY. Fresh out of undergrad, it was my first teaching experience. I think it was a cartooning class for kids. There, and at that moment, I fell into my present career. It was in that converted Dining Room space where I led a group, introduced them to art and watched as processes unfolded. Back then, I would look at the ceiling moldings and the carvings on the fireplace and imagine the space in another time, filled with other people: a fine dinner in the golden age of Long Island Hunt Clubs and Vanderbilt splendor, a rowdy breakfast of orphans reaching for more bread. I never imagined that twenty years later, I would be standing in that classroom, remembering a younger me.  And as I stood there a few days ago, I added that image of a tentative new teacher in a museum school to the socialites and the foundlings that passed through the room.

A student in my 2011 workshop asked me, “What is your favorite thing that you do in art?” I paused and thought deeply about this.  The materials and methods change. My subjects change. The teaching/learning relationships change.  Ultimately, this is my favorite thing that I do: to change and to grow and to evolve. I discovered that my favorite thing to do is to transition or transcend my old self, like a ghost finally crossing over into a new existence.  The process is not always easy - I tend to linger like a haunting spirit, reluctant to move on.

At the end of class, I spoke with the Education Coordinator at the Islip Art Museum. She told me that a team of paranormal investigators had recently visited the museum. They were looking for spirits who might be inhabiting the ether, who might be tickling the attic floorboards.  And I thought that perhaps my workshop was something of a paranormal investigation: a search for the vestiges of our younger selves, a portal into another time.  Delving into memories, however fleeting, help us make sense of who we are now.

I was privileged to share my artistic process with some extraordinary women in this class.  The following images are evidence of their explorations into papier-mâché and personal narrative. I am most grateful for their openness to learning and their serious contemplation of their own Secrets Within.

Carolyn Callahan


Sally Haughney

Betty Doonan

Ruth Davis

Kate Becker

Patricia Sayers

Rita Hoffman





No comments:

Post a Comment