Friday, February 11, 2011

Arms and Armatures

Newspaper and masking tape can make some interesting forms. 2D into 3D. Inner structures easily modified to fit a leg in a tub or a foot on a nesting doll head. Arm too long? Rip it off, cut it, and reattach. Additional materials can be used too: thick chip board to create the sole of a chunky foot, and a penny for weight. I often consider adding objects within these armatures, but I haven't so far.

For now, these paper forms contain the thoughts about the work, the intention. But they also hold the laughs and songs experienced while building; somehow these temper the deep introspection of the original idea. The students take turns playing songs on youtube and I still have I Don't Like Mondays in my head.

This childlike medium of mashy paper unseats the darkness of the subject. Sins and brothers understood through the language of kids.

Today I need to get some photos of everyone working.  

No comments:

Post a Comment